Congratulations on your new role as a Local Executive! If you don’t have one already, the first thing you should do is create a UNAnet Account.
A good place to start is with the Roles and Responsibilities document, this will walk you through the basics of what you are to do and be responsible for as a Local Executive.
For further knowledge, you can sign up for How to Run a Local (abbreviated HTRL) events through the Events tab on DMS Web (see guide below on signing up for a workshop), you can see the upcoming events on the Events Calendar
Additionally the Procedure 18.11 “Locals – Operating Requirements” found it the Policies and Procedures Manual 18.11 covers the of the responsibilities of the Local Executive.
There are also some great education modules that provide step-by-step videos! Please visit https://education.una.ca/admin/
And be sure to check out our additional resources section, with links to the UNA Glossary and Commonly Used Terms documents, really useful of keeping track of all the acronyms thrown around.
Guides for the getting started with the various services that make up UNAnet:
UNA Webmail – Zimbra – Access your @una.ca email and your Local Executive Shared Mailbox.
Forums – Find District Meeting agendas, information about Negs or the AGM, and discuss with other Members the News.
DMS – Administration of your Local
Additional Resources – Including the UNA Glossary and commonly used terms documents, what is the LRB? What is a BU? etc…
As a new Local Executive
- Your new position will need to be reflected in DMS; a current Local Executive will be able to do this for you.
- If you are taking over hardware (such as a laptop from the previous Local Exec) please contact email@example.com.
- Once your position is reflected in DMS, you should have access and be able to see the following:
- The Local Executive shared mailbox
- Getting Started with Zimbra Mail
- ☆ Best Practice: Local Executive should create/design a schedule to monitor the inbox, and specify how they would like messages to be dealt with (such as message forwarding)
The Local Executive shared calendar
- Forums is where information about various events will be posted, so you’ll find all the information about the AGM in the AGM forum, or our ongoing 2024 Negs in the Negs forum, and be able to talk with other Local Executives in the Local Executives forum. This is your place, to post and talk with other Members.
- Your Home Menu will comprise of:
- Your Local Dashboard
- Your Personal Information (you can edit directly on here)
- Your Membership Information
- The Local(s) information of which you are a part of
- Employee Lists
- The Local Admin tab
- Your Local Dashboard
With access to News, Collective Agreements, UNA Policies and the Constitution. In the DMS section, members with UNAnet accounts can update their contact information, submit Expense Claims and LOA Requests, Occupational Health & Safety forms; and Local Executives can do informational searches of their members and duespayers. Local executives and committee members can also manage Expense Claims and LOA Requests, as well as OH&S forms.
Members with UNAnet accounts can also have an electronic version of their UNA Membership Card right in the app!
Optional push notifications provide updates on the status of expense claims, leaves of absence requests, submitted PRC and OH&S concerns, and other related items.
Commonly Used Terms
Constitution & Bylaws
Glossary of UNA terms and abbreviations
Occupational Health & Safety (OH&S)
Professional Responsibility Concerns (PRC)
Other helpful articles for DMS Web